Saturday, January 19, 2008

An Entertaining Burns Supper

Sam and I attended the Silver Thistle's Burns Supper this evening. For over 200 years Scots around the world have celebrated Robert Burns's birthday with a Burns Supper. The suppers are fantastic to partake in: there's great music and dancing, entertaining speakers, and of course, the haggis. The guest speaker this evening was Ed Miller, a native of Edinburgh who is a local celebrity, and it's always a pleasure to hear Ed speak and sing.

This evening we were entertained with great stories and jokes, of which I had to share two jokes.

What's the difference between Mick Jagger and a Scot in the Highlands:
Mick Jagger sings "Hey you, get off of my cloud."
A Scot in the Highlands says "Hey MacLeod, get off of my ewe."

About midway through the ceremony there is a salute to the lasses and a response to the laddies. During the exchange we were entertained by this joke:

A Scottish mom was going to return to the workforce after her kids had grown up so she went to her doctor for a physical. When her husband returned home from work she shared her physical's results with him. "My doctor told me I have the body of a 20 year old and the heart of a 16 year old." Her husband responded "Did he say anything about your 50 year old ass?" to which she responded "No, he didn't ask about you." LOL I laughed and laughed at that one.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love the Mick Jagger joke.