Sunday, June 1, 2008

A Lovely Weekend

We met friends for dinner at Flip Happy Crepes last night for dinner. Sam & I had been there a couple of times before and we knew that they can get quite busy so I suggested we get there just as they opened, at 6pm, in order to find a good table.

As we were leaving the house to meet our friends I thought I'd made a big mistake in choosing our dinner time because it was still in 90s and the air was heavy. It was quite warm for the first 45 minutes or so that we were there but we were chatting with our friends, enjoying some beer and wine. Then as the sun started to disappear it turned into a lovely evening. A cool breeze started to blow and the huge pecan tree we were sitting beneath offered protection from the weakening sun's heat. That seemed to spark our appetites and we hurried over to the groovy Airstream trailer to place our crepe orders. Mmmh, they were absolutely delectable.

I take Rusty for his morning walk around 6am while it's still cool. As he's getting older I think he's less tolerant of the heat as he really slows down when we're playing in the heat. As we were walking around our neighborhood this morning a lovely strong cool breeze met us face on and it was glorious. All of the trees' leaves started to flutter and the scent of honeysuckle clusters floated through the air.

I tried to really take it in because it'll be stifling hot very soon and cool, delicious smelling breezes will be a distant memory.

2 comments:

Dan said...

Lovely post.

Anonymous said...

Can't believe how quickly the stifling hot got here. What a very lovely weekend indeed. I miss being able to slowly soak in the moments - usually have at least 3 things going on at once, and one eye glued to a child. This post reminds me how I look forward to when I have the opportunity to do that again, and can teach them by example to pause to enjoy the beauty around us.