Saturday, May 10, 2008

Have You Voted Yet?

On this morning's to do list is tons of laundry, talking Rusty for his a.m. walk, and voting. To kill two birds with one stone Rusty, Sam and I walked over to our polling place so I could place my vote for Austin City Council Places 1, 3 and 4.

As he usually does, Rusty added a little excitement to the walk. We need to cross the Mopac overpass to reach our polling place at HP Elementary and Rusty, who always carries a ball on his walks, dropped his ball when we were near the top of the overpass and it rolled at record speed to the bottom of the hill. So off we went running after the ball so it didn't roll into the storm drain and I carried it until we reached the hill's bottom at the other side of the overpass. Fool me once, Rusty.

We made our way to HP Elementary and Rusty & Sam waited outside while I went in to cast my vote. I always ask the polling place workers how the turnout has been and today's response was that it's been dismal. Surely people care about what happens to our city. Surely people understand that any progress in public transportation, preservation of neighborhoods, affordable housing, etc. is up to the council.

I don't think we can complain about decisions made by the council if we don't show up to vote.

No comments: